IEDC's Excellence in Economic Development Awards recognize the world’s best economic development programs and partnerships, marketing materials, and the year’s most influential leaders. These 35 awards honor organizations and individuals for their efforts in creating positive change in urban, suburban, and rural communities. Winners are recognized at IEDC’s Annual Conference.
2013 Awards Timeline
Awards Presentation: October 7-8
Categories 1-25: A total of four awards will be presented for each award category, according to population. Judges will have the right to designate Silver and Bronze awards at their discretion. One project will be awarded in each of the following population levels:
Population less than 25,000
Population between 25,000 and 200,000
Population between 200,000 and 500,000
Population greater than 500,000
These awards recognize innovative and effective marketing materials used for attracting, retaining and fostering business as well as communications vehicles used by economic development organizations.
1. General Purpose Brochure
2. Special Purpose Brochure
3. General Purpose Promotion
4. Annual Report
5. Paid Advertising Campaign
8. Special Event
Internet & New Media Awards
These awards recognize exceptional and inventive use of the Internet and new media - including podcasts, blogs, wikis, extranet and intranets - for economic development.
9. General Purpose Website
10. Special Purpose Website
11. New Media
These awards recognize outstanding and pioneering programs in economic and business development.
12. Technology-Based Economic Development
13. Multi-Year Economic Development
14. Economic Development Training
15. Business Retention and Expansion - Single Events
16. Business Retention and Expansion - Programs of 3 Years or More
18. Neighborhood Development
19. Human Capital
20. Responding to Globalization
21. Sustainable and Green Development
22. Real Estate Redevelopment & Reuse
These awards recognize significant partnerships formed to support economic development and the results achieved by working together.
23. Public-Private Partnerships
24. Partnerships with Educational Institutions
25. Regionalism and Cross-Border Collaboration
These awards recognize outstanding leaders in the public and private sectors who are advancing economic development in their communities. One individual will be presented an award for each category.
1. New Economic Developer of the Year
2. Leadership Award for Public Service – Sponsored by American City & County
3. Citizen Leadership Award
4. Institutional Leadership Award (NEW)
5. Jeffrey A. Finkle Organizational Leadership Award (NEW)
6. Federal Leadership in Economic Development Programs Award (Entry fee waived) (NEW)
7. Congressional Leadership in Economic Development Award (Entry fee waived) (NEW)
Honorary Awards (entry fee waived)
Nominations will be considered for the following honorary designations for long-standing active IEDC members.
1. Fellow Member (FM)
2. Honorary Life Member (HLM)
One individual will be recognized for their lifelong commitment to excellence in economic development.
3. Lifetime Achievement Award for Excellence in Economic Development, in honor of Edward deLuca
What Can an IEDC Award Offer Your Organization?
IEDC is the world's largest membership organization serving the economic development profession. From public to private, rural to urban, and local to international, our members represent the entire range of economic development.
Winners of IEDC’s Excellence in Economic Development Awards must demonstrate to our experienced panel of judges that they are at the forefront of the economic development profession. We recognize only the most successful, innovative, and effective leaders, programs, partnerships, and promotional materials. Award recipients gain valuable publicity and exposure to their peers in the economic development field.