About Entry Packets Categories Sponsors
IEDC's Excellence in Economic Development Awards recognize the world's best economic development programs and partnerships, marketing materials, and the year's most influential leaders. These 34 awards honor organizations and individuals for their efforts in creating positive change in urban, suburban, and rural communities. Winners are recognized at IEDC's Annual Conference in Atlanta, GA.
How to Submit Awards Entries
Step 1: Download the Awards Entry Packet
Step 2: Review the award category descriptions and consider one or more entries from your community.
Step 3: Postmark your application(s) by the May 11th deadline. Mail to:
734 15th Street NW, Suite 900
Washington, DC 20005
Questions: Contact Nye Harte at firstname.lastname@example.org or (202) 942-9483.
2018 Awards Timeline
Call for Entries Begins: February 12
Early Bird Deadline: April 6
Final Deadline: May 11
Awards Presentation: September 30-October 3
Best in Show Award
This award recognizes the best entry out of all 24 categories of promotional, program, and partnership awards. The recipient will be revealed during the Awards Ceremony at IEDC's Annual Conference. The 2017 recipient was HQ Vancouver for their "This is my HQ Profile Cards".
Early (by April 6)
Regular (April 7 - May 11)
Entrants with Populations less than 25,000
Final Deadline: Postmarked by May 11, 2018
Categories 1-24: Projects will be awarded in each of the following population levels:
- Population less than 25,000
- Population between 25,000 and 200,000
- Population between 200,000 and 500,000
- Population greater than 500,000
These awards recognize innovative and effective marketing materials used for attracting, retaining and fostering business as well as communications vehicles used by economic development organizations.
1. General Purpose Print Brochure
2. Special Purpose Print Brochure
3. General Purpose Print Promotion
4. Video/Multimedia Promotion
5. Annual Report
6. Paid Advertising Campaign
9. Special Event
10. Innovation in Economic Development Week (Special Deadline: June 1, 2018)
Internet & New Media Awards
These awards recognize exceptional and inventive use of the Internet and new media – including podcasts, blogs, wikis, extranet and intranets – for economic development.
11. General Purpose Website
12. Special Purpose Website
13. New Media
These awards recognize outstanding and pioneering programs in economic and business development.
14. Multi-Year Economic Development
15. Business Retention and Expansion (BRE) - Single Event
16. Business Retention and Expansion (BRE) – Program of 3 Years or More
18. Neighborhood Development
19. Human Capital
20. Real Estate Redevelopment & Reuse
21. Economic Equity & Inclusion
These awards recognize significant partnerships formed to support economic development and the results achieved by working together.
22. Public-Private Partnerships
23. Partnerships with Educational Institutions
24. Regionalism and Cross-Border Collaboration
These awards recognize outstanding leaders in the public and private sectors who are advancing economic development in their communities. One individual will be presented an award for each category.
1. New Economic Developer of the Year
2. Leadership Award for Public Service
3. Citizen Leadership Award
4. Institutional Leadership Award
5. Jeffrey A. Finkle Organizational Leadership Award
6. Federal Leadership in Economic Development Programs Award (Entry fee waived)
7. Congressional Leadership in Economic Development Award (Entry fee waived)
Honorary Awards (Entry fee waived)
Nominations will be considered for the following honorary designations for long-standing active IEDC members.
1. Fellow Member (FM)
2. Honorary Life Member (HLM)
One individual will be recognized for their lifelong commitment to excellence in economic development.
3. Lifetime Achievement Award for Excellence in Economic Development, in honor of Edward deLuca
IEDC is the world's largest membership organization serving the economic development profession. From public to private, rural to urban, and local to international, our members represent the entire range of economic development.
Recipients of IEDC's Excellence in Economic Development Awards demonstrate to our experienced panel of judges that they are at the forefront of the economic development profession. We recognize the most successful, innovative, and effective leaders, programs, partnerships, and promotional materials. Award recipients gain valuable publicity and exposure amongst their peers in the economic development field, media, and prospects. Raise the visibility of your organization – apply for an Excellence in Economic Development award today!